Ranking the top ten teams in the NHL so far
Updated: Nov 14, 2019
Find out which teams have been the most impressive after almost twenty games
1. Washington Capitals: The Caps are scoring at a torrid pace of four goals per game. Besides John Carlson though, their defense has been suspect. Washington is already a Cup favorite, and if Braden Holtby can pick up his game, this team will be tough to beat.
2. Boston Bruins: The first line is once again the best in the NHL, and their depth scoring has improved as the season has gone on. David Pastrnak is an early NHL MVP candidate. Tuukka Rask and Jaroslav Halak have been shut down to start the season as well.
3. St. Louis Blues: The Blues depth on both offense and defense is once again their strong suit, and their bottom two lines are near the top in the league. They are absolutely squeaking through games though, and I have the feeling that it might finally catch up to them.
4. New York Islanders: After a slow first few games, the Isles have absolutely caught fire. They haven't missed a beat after the loss of Vezina Trophy finalist Robin Lehner left in the offseason, as they have given up the least goals per game in the NHL.
5. Edmonton Oilers: James Neal has slowed down a little, but Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid, like always, are there to carry this team. They are first and third in the league in points respectively.
6. Colorado Avalanche: It is amazing that the Avs have been able to keep this strong pace even with the injuries to Gabriel Landeskog and Mikko Rantanen. It speaks to how good Nathan MacKinnon is, and the depth on this team.
7. Philadelphia Flyers: The Flyers have really picked up their play as of late, and that has been thanks to the stability in net of Carter Hart. The depth on their first three lines is arguably the best in the NHL.
8. Nashville Predators: The Preds are almost scoring as much as the Caps. The top two on the team in points as of November 12th? Defenseman Roman Josi and Ryan Ellis. Also, Pekka Rinne is looking elite, and still undefeated.
9. Florida Panthers: The talent on this Florida team is absolutely undeniable. What has kept them from being even better to start the year is superstar offseason addition Sergei Bobrovsky. If he can pick things up, watch out for the Panthers.
10. Arizona Coyotes: Many people thought that the offseason addition Phil Kessel would be the changing factor in Arizona, but it has actually been Darcy Kuemper. He is top three in the league in both GAA and SV%.